Here in the northern hemisphere, winter can mean cold gloomy days and hardly any sunshine. This roasted carrot and red pepper soup is a little bowl of sunshine to brighten up these darker days. Its thick and creamy with some sweet notes.
Sometimes one has the time and motivation to create culinary wonders in the kitchen. Hoewever, every so often, we need quick, simple but nutritious meals that can be rustled up in no time with minimum ingredients. This soup ticks all these boxes.
I roast the vegetables in this recipe. The reason I roast the carrots and bell pepper is because roasting brings out a sweetness and depth of flavour that you just can't get when you boil them. Roasting also helps in retaining the colour and the brightness in the end product.
The addition of leek, instead of onions, adds a sweeter, subtler taste and gives some room for the other flavours. I add the fennel for a sweet aniseed note.
This carrot and red pepper soup requires little supervision in its making. Just spread the vegetables on a baking tray and roast in the oven. Once done, add the stock and blend. Voila! The soup is ready.
Right then, lets cook!
Here is a video guide to making you carrot and red pepper soup.
Roasted Carrot and Red pepper Soup
- Digital scales
- Blender or Food processor
- 700 gms Carrots
- 220 gms Red peppers
- 100 gms Leek
- 15 gms Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Fennel seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 litre Vegetable stock
- 10 gms Olive oil
- Pre heat the oven to 200ºC
- Peel and cut the carrots into similar size chunks
- Remove the seeds from the red pepper and cut into quarters.
- Wash and cut the leek into similar size as the carrots.
- Peel the garlic cloves
- Transfer all the vegetables to a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil.
- Add the fennel seeds and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for about 20 to 30 minutes until the carrots are soft.
- Once cooked, transfer to a blender and add the vegetable stock. Puree.
- The puree will be a bit chunky and that's the texture we are after.
- Heat up before serving.
- Serve garnished with roasted omega 3 seed mix or a garnish of your choice.
Carrot And Red Pepper Soup Recipe Notes
If you don't have fennel seeds, you can also use coriander seeds, dill seeds or caraway seeds to flavour the soup.
With most of my recipes I provide a base idea and then you can put your own stamp on it by using what you would like to flavour them. Follow your intuition and experiment. Also, why not make your own vegetable stock?
This soup freezes well, and can be stored in a sealed container for up to three months. Just defrost in the fridge the night before you need it and bring to boil before consuming.