Alio Olio is one of the easiest and fastest pasta recipes to make. But if you are eating it as often as I did (it was my staple diet on my days off when I was a chef full time) then a bit of creativity with the recipe was definitely needed. What I present with you here, you MUST try if you want quick, tasty comfort food. Such an easy pasta recipe to make, this should have a too-tasty warning label!
A Quick, Easy Pasta Recipe That Will Become A Favourite
To be honest I didn't even think of sharing this recipe with you because it is so simple. Simple can be deceptive though. This truly does tick those all important boxes: Easy, quick and tasty. So I simply must share it with you. One thing that I struggled with when working full time as a chef, was to have fresh produce in my home kitchen. With last minute changes to days off or last minute plans to meet friends, it usually ended up in the bin. So I began to keep bottled and canned produce, that would be easy to turn into a meal. I am a massive fan of fresh ingredients and definitely use them where ever possible. However, of course, life can get in the way of that sometimes, so a quick and easy pasta recipe that is classic and tasty is sometimes what's needed.
This version of alio olio is a recipe inspired by an Italian chef from Sardinia I once worked with. This was more than 20 years ago but it is still a firm favourite and I love cooking it. Warning though, it is highly addictive, after all, well I ate it for five years every week. It is so good that even my Italian friends, who know their pasta dishes, ask me to make it for them. Second helpings are very common!
Ready to fall in love with this easy pasta recipe? Right then, let's cook!
Here is a video guide to making your Alio Olio, easy pasta recipe
Fifteen minute Alio Oilo Recipe
- Digital scales
- 200 gms Spaghetti for mains, 160 gms for starter
- 14 gms Garlic
- 94 gms Artichoke canned
- 220 gms Plum tomatoes two in numbers
- 35 gms Black Olives
- 35 gms Green Olives
- 30 gms Capers
- 10 gms Parsley
- Vegan Parmesan style cheese
- 30 gms Olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Chilli Flakes
- salt to taste
- Fill a large pot with water. Add salt and bring to a boil.
- Finely chop the garlic.
- Once the water is boiling, add the spaghetti to the pot, making sure it is submerged. Cover and cook till al dente - about 2 minutes before the cooking time mentioned on the pasta packet.
- While the pasta is cooking, cut the tomatoes in half. De-seed them and cut into medium sized dice.
- Cut the artichokes into quarters.
- Roughly chop the parsley
- In a pan over a medium heat, add the olive oil and sauté the garlic for a minute. Then add the chopped tomatoes and season with salt.
- Add the artichokes and sauté for a minute.
- Drain the pasta and add to the pan. (a little bit of water is alright)
- Break the olives and capers between your fingers and add to the pasta.
- Add chilli flakes and mix.
- Turn off the heat and add the chopped parsley and grated parmesan cheese.
- Mix well. Garnish with some more parsley and parmesan cheese. Serve
Alio Olio Recipe Notes
Spaghetti or Linguini works best with this easy pasta recipe.
You can replace canned artichoke with the marinated artichokes.
Of course, if you are not vegan, then you can replace the vegan parmesan with dairy parmesan.
If you like your pasta dishes then check out my vegan mac and cheese and indulge in more comfort food