Buttery, flaky, spinach and feta strudel. A simple combination, but always a winner. This savoury strudel recipe is really easy to make, and a perfect vegetarian / vegan Christmas day offering. In fact, its so good that everyone at the table can enjoy it, no matter what their meal preference. Every year I make this for Christmas for my vegetarian partner. Now, my mother-in-law has started to request it too. Her usual go-to was turkey, so that's a big win.
Vegan Christmas Dinner Sorted
Choosing the right vegan butter is essential. Dairy free spread won't work well, so you need melted block butter, and lots of it, to achieve the flaky crust. The spinach an feta combo is very spanakopita style (a traditional Greek dish with spinach and feta cheese), the vegan feta, however, makes it more moist. Don't be put off by the layering and folding the filo pastry sheets, it is easier than it it looks. Just take a look at the video and I will take you through this.
So that is the vegan main course sorted. If you want a vegan Christmas dessert, then have a look at my Calcutta Christmas cake recipe.
Head on over to my vegan wellington with rose harrisa for another vegetarian / vegetarian and vegan lunch option
Right then, lets cook!
Here is a video guide to making this spinach and feta strudel.
Vegan Spinach and Feta Strudel
- Digital scales
- Measuring spoons
- 750 gms Spinach leaves Not baby spinach
- 20 gms Garlic
- 60 gms Red onion
- 100 gms Vegan feta I used vio life
- 6 Sheets Filo pastry
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 50 gms Vegan butter block, not spreadable
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- Wash and pat dry the spinach.
- Finely chop the onions and garlic.
- Roughly chop the spinach leaves and finely chop the stems.
- Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the onion and garlic, until translucent.
- Add the spinach stems and sauté for five minutes.
- Add in the spinach leaves and sauté for a few more minutes until wilted.
- Season with salt, nutmeg and black pepper.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Melt the vegan butter.
- Spead out one filo sheet and butter generously.
- Layer another filo sheet on top and butter again. Repeat this process till you have six layers.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC.
- With the shorter edge of the filo pastry facing you, spoon in half of the now cooled spinach mix and break half the feta and add on top. Repeat with the remaining spinach and feta. Insure that you leave at least an inch border on the two sides.
- Now carefully bring the end on top of the spinach feta mix to form a roll. Seal the end under the bottom of the mix.
- Brush the sides of the long edge with butter and fold it in to insure that the filling doesn't spill out as you roll further.
- Roll up from the short edge towards the end to form a log.
- Brush with butter and seal the end.
- Gently transfer to you prepared baking sheet with the end tucked under.
- Brush with butter again and bake in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Once cooked, let it rest for five minutes, before cutting and serving.
Vegan Spinach And Feta Strudel Recipe Notes
When you cut the strudel, you may have a milky liquid come out. This liquid is from the vegan feta which is oil based. If it does not need to be vegan you can use dairy feta cheese.
Don't use baby spinach for this recipe. Baby spinach when cooked, will lead to a low yield and the mix will not be enough for the filling of this strudel.
You can prepare this vegan Christmas spinach and feta strudel up to three days in advance and kept in the fridge covered to ensure it doesn't come in contact with the air. Before cooking remove from the fridge to bring it to room temperature while the oven is heating up. Freeze it if you need to. Ensure that it is in an airtight container or wrap and then frozen straight and flat. Keep it frozen for up to three months. Before using defrost overnight in the refrigerator.